Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.

Notification

Icon
Error

multicore and multiprocessor
F.A.
#1 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 12:03:52 AM(UTC)

1) What is difference between multiprocess and multicore with respect to programming?

2) For multithreading we need to save shared-data through mutex and synchronization, what about a program running on multicore ?

3) If I have a single process in my program and running it at multicore environment ? processing Will be faster or not?

4) Is multicore and multiprocessor CPUs are same ?
Johan Dams
#2 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 1:47:30 PM(UTC)

Hi.

"1) What is difference between multiprocess and multicore with respect to programming?"

It depends. Are you talking about multi processor systems and multicore systems as found on PC's (symmetric)? In that case, there is basically no difference. If you are talking about multi core systems such as found on SoC's (asymmetric), or even multiple individual processing cores in some kind of network compared to e.g., two arm cores on a chip, things are vastly different.

Reading your other questions, I assume you mean a typical symmetric multi processor (or multi core) system. In that case, it also depends on what you mean with 'programming'. Are we talking end user GUI applications, or a system with real time constraints? In general, if you use an operating system that suports multi core, a lot of the heavy lifting is already done for you.

"2) For multithreading we need to save shared-data through mutex and synchronization, what about a program running on multicore ?"

Yes, same thing. Your threads just might run on two or more processing cores instead of just one. You might also introduce additional complexities such as core affinity, etc.

"3) If I have a single process in my program and running it at multicore environment ? processing Will be faster or not?"

If your process uses threads, it might be. If your process runs with several other processes on the same machine, the ability to spread the load over multiple cores will increase the tie slice available for your process and could speed things up as well.

"4) Is multicore and multiprocessor CPUs are same ?"

It depends on your definition mostly, but generally no. You can have a multi processor system, where each processor is multi core.

Johan